Taught and Tested



To anyone who read my blog yesterday about the lesson I learned about being willing to serve, and to walk beside people rather than exalt ourselves above others...well, that was tested tonight.
An older, rough looking, homeless woman with no teeth came up to me and those who I was with, asking for food. But she didn't stop there, she began telling us about God, and offering to pray for us. I wasn't sure if she was on a substance at first, but soon I realized it was joy, not alcohol, that had her smiling. And, with the words I wrote yesterday still fresh in my mind, I made sure I looked her straight in the eye as she spoke, being careful not to make her feel unwanted by body language or the words I said.
Turns out, I ended up having a real conversation with this old, toothless woman. She told me about her life -- what led her to the point she was at, and about some hard blows life had dealt her. But, with a smile in her eyes, she explained when she would get down, God would remind her this life wasn't it, and that her true life was with Him. He would tell her not to worry about what she will eat or drink. "He always takes care of me," she said.
I'm thankful for the picture of Christ washing His disciple's feet and the one minute lesson that was given to me -- that to follow Christ means to serve others, even if that service may seem beneath your station. You don't often see a homeless person having a real conversation with a "seemingly" put together, hot, young person, ;) but tonight, it happened. Thanks to a Father who is always willing to teach His daughter, no matter how hard headed she may be at times. Feeling thankful to God who makes me way cooler than I would be without Him. :)

Comments

Popular Posts