We're expecting baby #5...and I want to die


Yes, you read the title right -- #5!! I know what you're thinking: 'Five kids? Are you insane?'
The answer is, yes. Yes, I am. Of course, I've always been a little bit crazy, but having kids has made it much, much worse.

The funny thing is, I didn't even want kids before. I thought kids were just little creatures that made your life harder and kept you from doing the things you wanted to do (turns out I was right, btw). But then, at age 21, I joined the Mormon church where they taught the importance of having children, that it was a part of the reason we came to Earth.
"Have Children" they said, "Don't drink alcohol," they said...It made sense to me at the time, but now I see it was all a part of their master plan to make us women miserable. ;) 

But, miserable or not, another little one is on the way.

I tried to keep it a secret as long as I could this time around. Not because I was worried about miscarriage or was afraid of people's opinions of us having "yet another child." But because I didn't want people coming up to me with their huge smiles, saying in their cheery voices, "Congratulations!" or "We're so happy for you!" Why? Because, honestly, with how tired I am from already having four kids, I'd much rather people send me their condolences than congratulations.

I know what you're thinking, 'Why the heck do you keep having kids if you're already so overwhelmed?'
Here's the thing, contrary to what some of you may think, us Mormons do believe in birth control, my husband and I are just really, really bad at it.

So here I am, pregnant with baby #5 (which, btw, looks like it is another boy, so that makes baby BOY #5), and I literally want to die.

In a bizarre way, it's kinda liberating. For the past several years I'd developed an irrational fear of dying young, but the idea of having a fifth child has taken that fear completely away. Death? Ha! I'm about to have five kids; nothing could be worse than that! lol

The screaming, the crying, the ungratefulness, the crazy amount of poopy diapers of only one of my children is almost more than any human being can take. Multiply that times five, and all I want to do is give birth to this child and then crawl into a hole and come out in thirty years when it's safe (some kids take longer leaving the nest).

I know some women relish motherhood, but I am simply not one of them. It wasn't until my oldest son turned 7 that I could see why people do this at all. Now he can be reasoned with; he doesn't yell at me for making him food; he has unique and interesting thoughts every so often, and most importantly, he doesn't shout at me from the bathroom, "I'm done!" (aka, "Wipe my butt!") in an annoyingly cheerful voice every thirty minutes like the younger ones do.

So there is hope for the future; it just seems so far away. To think I have reset the clock again with this pregnancy and have to wait seven more years before my last child is tolerable is really, well, sucky. But seven years will fly by, and before I know it my oldest two boys will be teenagers, and........nope, I was right. I want to die.


Comments

  1. this is so funny.....good for you...er Congratulations!! Haha! The crew you have now is the cutest bunch of kids, and after having them over for about three hours I'm looking for a truck to run me over, or actually, I feel like one has. I remember you saying, " Okay God-I'm ready," over the phone a few days back! I'm still laughing....since I live in another house. Cheers--and great writing. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Dad! haha. I had to get it off my chest. :)

      Delete
  2. I actually wanted baby #6. That is, until I was pregnant with her. Then I really did, literally, think of how to die. Honest to goodness depression, bad. And I cried. Because I didn't want her.

    But, as I am now, three months on the other side of the darkness that was my final (HELL YES) pregnancy, I am so glad I stuck around to meet her, because she is an amazing baby.

    Please know that it's okay to feel sad, angry or depressed. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I went through something similar to this with my third. I'd lie in bed pregnant with him, dreading all the work that laid ahead of me. Then, something magical happened when he was born -- The love I had for him made all the work seem okay all of the sudden. So I know that mother's love will help boost me out of this come and go worry about the future ahead. I definitely have dealt with serious depression in the past, and have found that medicine helps me out so much more than I ever gave it credit for. Glad us mothers can talk about it, and know it's okay to not be okay. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts