Let's Talk About Sex
A while back my family and I found ourselves eating behind a group of what seemed from the looks of it to be college freshman boys. I am a people watcher, or in this case, listener, but putting that trait aside, the conversation these boys were having couldn't be ignored.
"I just don't get it!" one of the boys complained, "things were goin' good between us, but now she doesn't call. And when we do talk she acts all weird. Ever since we did it things have started slippin'."
I was surprised at how supportive his friends were being, trying their best in their guy kind of way to make him feel better about his dilemma.
"I don't know if she's into me any more," he continued to say, "I mean, I'm still into her, but things are just getting weird."
So, if you know me well, you know that I will totally talk to random strangers about completely embarrassing things. I was SO close to turning around and saying, "Dude!! She is totally into you! You guys just started "doing it" and now she's feeling very vulnerable, and a huge weight has been put on your relationship that wasn't there before." TIP: if you want to keep things light, fun, free and easy between you and the person you are dating -- do not, I repeat, do not have sex!! On the other hand, if you want to keep your relationship with your spouse going strong -- have regular sex!!
Sex was designed to be the ultimate bonding tool between a man and woman. It is meant to mean forever. This has been lost somewhat, alright, a lot, in our modern culture, but the truth of it is still ringing ever so slightly in the back of our minds. This is why porn stars are looked down on in the acting world, if sex doesn't mean anything, why should porn, prostitution or any of those things be bad in any way? It's just a meaningless, fun activity, right? -- that is the direction society is headed with sex, but it happily isn't there yet.
No. Sex is very, very meaningful. And when you try to "do it" without a promise of forever, a certainty that this is the person you are going to wake up to for the rest of your life -- that you can trust them wholeheartedly with everything you have to offer, then things start to get messy.
Sure things can work out between a couple if they have sex outside of marriage, but you're taking a huge risk, if this person isn't your forever, one, if not both of you are going to be very hurt when it's over -- b/c you opened yourself up completely to them.
Anyhow, it isn't all I have to say on the subject, but it's all I think you can probably tolerate of my thoughts on the subject. So I'll close this blog with -- if you're not married, think twice before getting intimate with someone.
O.K. One more thing, I can't help it!!
Sex before marriage is like opening your birthday presents a month early, or for some, years early. Sure you can still play with the gifts on your actual birthday, but you've ruined the surprise. It's not new. Shoot, I'm sure some couples just "do it" on the wedding nights b/c they know they should, not because they're utterly excited, scared, nervous, and totally stoked to.
Yes I'm a practicing Latter Day Saint, so I am taught these things. But it doesn't have to be for a religious reason for it to be true. Sex + no commitment = mess Sex + commitment = happy
And if you just CAN'T fathom the idea of waiting 'till marriage, at least wait until there is a SOLID commitment. In this instance, you are opening yourself up to all sorts of pain if the commitment outside of marriage (easily and with no lawyers) falls apart, but it seems the idea of waiting until marriage is next to impossible these days, so I said it.
haha

Comments
Post a Comment