What guy doesn't love twins?
We took the boys to the beach yesterday where Avery, our three and a half year old, had his first experience with twins. The two of us were playing in the water when up comes the cutest little girl who smiled at us and said, "Hi, I'm Aliyah." Pointing out to sea, she added, "This is the ocean, and that is a wave." -- needless to say, she instantly won me over with her cuteness.
Avery and Aliyah played for a bit together, laughing as the waves crashed on them by the shore. It was really cute. A little while had passed when a spitting image of Aliyah (her twin) came up to where we were playing. You could literally see Avery's head spinning with this strange encounter. He turned and looked at Aliyah, then he turned and looked at the second Aliyah, and he put his hands out -- first one, then the other -- and asked, "Both?"
"Yes," I said, between laughs. "It's called twins."
Avery's face lit up. "Twins!" he shouted, splashing up jubilantly into a wave before shouting again,"It's twins!"
Then he went to make friends with the other twin by belly bumping her (of course!).
Before I became a mom, I remember hearing parents saying how having children was so wonderful because you got to see the world again for the very first time through their eyes. Being the jaded teen I was, I thought, 'Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever,' but it really is so true.
As a side note, we do have twin girls in our church. I'm thinking Avery's just assumed they were the same person this whole time. : )

Comments
Post a Comment